A Lot Happened In January

The year got off to a rough start. On January 1, I wrote a blog talking about the pain I was in and discussed what has been going on with me since October of 2014. If you would like to get caught up before going on with this post, click here.

I know so many of you have written to me that you are thinking and praying for me, so I wanted to give you an update on how I’m doing. And I’m glad to tell you that I’m doing a lot better.

I can’t tell you how many IV’s have had this month alone, and I’m starting to lose track of every test and doctors appointment I’ve had in the past 31 days. But if it wasn’t for all the poking and prodding, I wouldn’t be in the recovery place that I’m in.

I have continued to see my cardiologist and monitor my pulse and blood pressure closely. The first step from the doctor was a medicine to control my blood pressure. It would seem like no big deal to most people, but I’ve never had to take a regular medicine in my life. Sure, I’ve had antibiotics and things like that, but nothing that was an everyday no matter what thing. I was glad to have something that I was told would help me feel better, but I was scared to find out if I would experience any side effects or reactions.

The worst part about being on the medicine? I didn’t feel better. It didn’t seem to work. Every day I thought things would be different, but it wasn’t.My pulse and blood pressure sill went crazy all of the time. I still had abdominal pain and I still felt tired all the time.

So, that led me to a gastroenterologist. And he led me to the pathology lab to draw some blood. And that led me to a colonoscopy. If you’ve had one, then you already know what I felt on my prep day. If you haven’t had one, just know that your body can take a lot and know that when you have one, you’ll be okay. You’ll feel like you’re dying, but you won’t. It’s a lot of work to go through for a test that takes all of 15 minutes, but it can save your life.

The good news is that everything from my Colonoscopy was normal. The bad news is that I missed the first week of spring semester. I hated not being able to make it to my classes. Every day I looked forward to hopefully being strong enough the next day to make it, but it just didn’t happen.

By the end of last week, I had had another cardiologist appointment that resulted in a 30 day heart monitor. I wasn’t thrilled about this at all, but I’m just so ready to have answers. And we got some, quick. The first full day of having the monitor on, the tech company and the doctors office called to ask me about what I was doing that morning. Why? Because it was 9:00am and my pulse was 148. Was I running? Having a morning work out? Nope, just walking around in the house getting ready for school. So, that led to a second medicine. This time, it was one to hopefully control the pulse from going so high.

Once again I was apprehensive about what this medicine could do, but I was so happy that something was picked up from my monitor and that the doctor could finally see that I haven’t been making this stuff up. My heart really does speed up for seemingly no reason. I really do get tired easily. Finally, I felt like I was getting somewhere.

And that brings me to the present. I just finished the second week of the semester, and I made it to every class every day. Each day I got stronger. Each day I have been feeling better. One day this week I was even able to go for a walk with my aunt at the park. I was able to do 3 laps and I wasn’t winded at all. That is a big deal for me. My friends, family, and coworkers have been such a big help through this whole ordeal. All of my instructors have been so understanding have extended help to me anyway they can. Everyday has it’s own struggle, but overall I am 100 times better than I was just 2 weeks ago.

This is still a long period of gathering information and I am still so thankful for all of your thoughts and prayers. I hope you will continue to keep me and my family in your prayers as we do for all of you.

I know so many of you are going through a tough time. Remember that you are not alone. We all have faced hard roads, and we all get down. You are not alone, you are loved and you are cared for. You will make it through.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s